Discover what to use the integration forTime to read: 5 minutes
If you are looking to learn how to set up the integration with Harvest, see this article
- The integration with Harvest connects your project & resource management tool directly with your Harvest account
- Projects in Forecast need to be linked to projects in Harvest in order for Forecast to know where to send your data
- The usual flow here would be to manage projects, incl. scope and tasks, time estimations, reported hours, and budget in Forecast
- Your financial data needed for the billing will automatically get transferred to your Harvest account, and all there's left to do is reviewing and sending the invoice
- Scoping in Forecast is also a great tool for creating a sales proposal based on real objective data from your organization. And, using Insights in Forecast, you'll get a real-time look into individual projects, people, the entire portfolio, or the business overall at any time
Connect a Project to Harvest
Step 1: Go to the project you wish to link
Step 2: Go to Project Settings
Step 3: Scroll down to Apps & integrations, and then Harvest
Step 4: Select your Harvest project from the dropdown
Connect your team members to Harvest
In order to let the team members to use Harvest, they should be registered form the Harvest platform with the same address mail as they use to connect to forecast. And on the People page (under the admin section) you can see which users are connected to Harvest.
Register time on Harvest Task form Forecast
From now, when you want to register time on this Forecast project you would have to select a Harvest task. The synchronization is shown by the 3 next icons:
- Synchronization success
- Synchronization in progress
- Synchronization failed (may be because the time was registered before the synch with harvest)
The tasks shown on the dropdown come from the Harvest project linked to the selected Forecast project, and they must not be confused with Forecast Tasks.
Harvest tasks are fetched from the Harvest API, so it may take a bit of time to load.
How to register time
Wherever you can register time on a project linked to Harvest on Forecast you will have the required dropdown to select the Harvest task.
On the task modal the time entries section contains the dropdown under the actual time entry fields. If you try to click on the + without selecting a Harvest task, the dropdown will open to force you to select one.
Then you can see the Harvest task synchronization state
If you want to change the Harvest task selected you can do from the edit time entry option (accessible from the 3 dots/burger menu next to the time entry)
Once you have activated Harvest to your account you will have new fields on the timesheet dedicated to the Harvest tasks.
On the Day view when you want to add a new line on a day through the Log time modal, you will see which projects are linked to Harvest by the H next to the project name. As soon as you select this project (or a task from this project) you will have a new dropdown with the Harvest tasks from the Harvest project linked to this Forecast Project.
You can’t continue before you have selected a Harvest Task.
On the actual day view, you will see a new column with the synchronization icon and the harvest tasks dropdown that allow you to edit the Harvest task linked to this time registration directly from here.
Note that Harvest tasks are independent of Forecast so you can edit this value even if the time registration is locked.
The behavior on the week view is a bit different as soon as it shows different time registration for the same task.
When you add a line in the timesheet you don’t need to select any Harvest task yet. But as soon as you fill in a time entry a modal will open to force you to select a Harvest task.
At the right of a task, you will see the Harvest logo. This logo opens a pop-out where you can have an overview of the time registration for the week for this task.
From here you can see the synchronization state and also edit the Harvest task for a time entry.
New time entry
The log time entry modal, accessible from the new button > time entry or form the Workflow when the Encourage time entries option is selected on a column, have now the Harvest tasks dropdown when a project linked to harvest is selected.
Harvest Tasks have a different structure than Forecast Tasks. Logged time on any Harvest Task will be logged directly on a Forecast project. There are no direct connections between a Harvest task and a Forecast task.
This is why, when logging time directly in Forecast, the system requires you to select a Harvest task. This way we ensure that the time logged in Forecast is linked to a Harvest Task.
Q: Why am I not seeing my time registration in Harvest?
A: If you don't see your time registrations in Harvest please check the following:
- That the Forecast user who registered the time is linked to Harvest.
- That the synchronization is not still in progress. Time is sent to Harvest at certain intervals, and it may take some time before the synchronization is done.
- That the time registration has a Harvest Task selected. The integration will not try to send the time registration to Harvest without a Harvest Task selected.
Q: Why am I not seeing the Harvest Task dropdown when registering time in Forecast?
A: This can be because your Forecast user is not linked to a Harvest user or because the Forecast project is not linked to a Harvest project.