Software development with GitLab and Forecast
The integration with GitLab lets you sync your work between chosen projects in GitLab and Forecast. Users, tasks, workflow, status, estimates, milestones, and assigned people are kept up-to-date no matter where you work.
- Learn how to setup the integration between Forecast and GitLab
- Learn how to sync your team members
- Learn how to sync GitLab projects to Forecast projects
Synced between both
- You can link GitLab users and Forecast. However, you need to create the users manually in each system.
- Issue / Task status is synced between both systems. Changing a status in GitLab is reflected in Forecast, and vice versa.
- Description on tasks / issues is reflected in both Forecast and GitLab.
- Milestones are reflected in both. Moving tasks between milestones is also synchronized.
- New tasks / issues are synchronized.
- Assigning people to tasks / issues is synced.
- Time estimates on tasks / issues are synced. When estimating from GitLab, the high and low estimate in Forecast will be set as the same. When estimating from Forecast, the forecast estimate based on your high and low, and our algorithm, will be sent to GitLab.
This should help you manage everything from both, and avoiding doing double the work.
Step 1: From the Integrations tab in your Admin panel go to GitLab.
Step 2: Click Activate.
Step 3: Sign in, accept and authorize the connection
You should automatically return to Forecast.
Sync Yourself and/or your Team Members
Step 1: Go to your profile or the team member's profile you wish to sync with GitLab (if Admin).
Step 2: Scroll down to the bottom until you come across the section that reads GitLab.com
Step 3: In the search bar type and search for your own or your team members GitLab registered name and click on it.
Success! After you accept to Link the two accounts you or your team member will have synced successfully with GitLab!
Syncing GitLab projects with Forecast Projects.
Once all of the team members that are going to be using GitLab are synced successfully you are set to start using the integration with your Forecast projects.
Step 4: Go to a project you wish to connect
Step 5: Go to Project Settings
Step 6: Scroll down, find the GitLab integration section
Step 7: Find the matching project in the dropdown menu
Step 8: Click Sync GitLab Project
Forecast will do a bit of work behind-the-scenes, and your issues should be visible in Workflow within a few seconds.
Connect as many projects as you'd like!