Establish milestones, create tasks, prioritize work and set deadlines
Main take aways
- Take a first look at the layout of the Scoping page
- Learn how to navigate on the page
- Scope out your first milestone
- More useful features of the project scoping
The Scoping section is where you plan out your project, mainly determining and documenting the list of specific milestones, tasks, deadlines and ultimately the cost of your project.
Once you have completed Scoping out your project, it might look like this.
1. Milestone: These are your goals, referred to as Milestones in Forecast. These are basically the phases of your project.
2. Tasks: Each milestone houses a number of Tasks which needed to be completed in order to deliver on the Milestone.
Before we get into the uses of the Scoping section, let's learn how to navigate on the page.
Navigating in Scoping
Starting from the left:
- View All, Done or Active: Click on the dropdown to view milestones that are either Done, Active or All of them.
- Eye Icon & Download: Click on the Eye Icon to view more information on each Milestone along with their tasks. Right next to the eye icon is the Download button. Click it to export the entire scope of your project into a csv. file. NOTE: The export will reflect the time entries in minutes
- Filter, New Milestone, Expand all, and More Options. Click on the Filter Button to filter milestones/tasks by Project, Status, Client Role, Label or Indicator. Click on the New Milestone button to Add Milestones. Then, click on the Expand All button to expand all milestones. Finally, see the More Options button to group by a person, show empty Persons or group by role.
How to Scope
Step 1: Access your desired project and select Scoping from the sub-menu (if this is a new project your Scoping section will be empty).
Step 2: Click on New Milestone (which is located on the top right-hand side of the scoping section) to add a milestone.
Step 3: Give the milestone a name (1), and specify start- and end dates (2).
Step 5: Add the necessary Tasks, People and Estimates within this new milestone
1. Name the Task
2. Assign the Role
3. Assign the assignee(s)
4. Set the estimate
5. Add the Task
Step 6: Choose to Approve the task or not (Collaborators will not be able to see tasks that are not approved. And, make sure to enable the approved option in your view through the eye icon).
Here is a list of further features on the Scoping page that will simplify to scope out your project and to change your project plan.
- Grouping: Group the tasks inside of each milestone by person or by role. With the grouping method you can see how many tasks were assigned to each person or role and you can keep track of the estimated and registered time per person as well as see the planned and actual revenue.
- Show Retainer Periods: In projects with the budget type "Retainer" you can display the retainer periods in your scoping page to match the periods with your milestones.
- Milestone actions: With the three dot icon on each milestone you can move a milestone to another project including all tasks, you can duplicate a milestone, you can merge milestones which allows you to combine the tasks from two milestones into one and you can delete a milestone. Please note that this will only delete the milestone and not the tasks belonging to it.