Establish milestones, create tasks, prioritize work, and set deadlines
The Scoping section is where you plan out your project, mainly determining and documenting the list of specific milestones, tasks, deadlines and ultimately the cost of your project.
Once you have completed Scoping out your project, it might look like this.
1. Milestone: These are your goals, referred to as Milestones in Forecast. These are basically the phases of your project.
2. Tasks: Each milestone houses a number of Tasks which needed to be completed in order to deliver on the Milestone.
Before we get into the uses of the Scoping section, let's navigate it.
Starting from the left:
- View All, Done or Active: Click on the dropdown to view milestones that are either Done, Active or All of them.
- Eye Icon & Download: Click on the Eye Icon to view more information on each Milestone along with their tasks. Right next to the eye icon is the Download button. Click it to export the entire scope of your project into a csv. file. NOTE: The export will reflect the time entries in minutes
- Filter, New Milestone, Expand all, and More Options. Click on the Filter Button to filter milestones/tasks by Project, Status, Client Role, Label or Indicator. Click on the New Milestone button to Add Milestones. Then, click on the Expand All button to expand all milestones. Finally, see the More Options button to group by a person, show empty Persons or group by role.
How to Scope
Step 1: Access your desired project and select Scoping from the sub-menu (if this is a new project your Scoping section will be empty).
Step 2: Click on New Milestone (which is located on the top right-hand side of the scoping section) to add a milestone.
Step 3: Give the milestone a name (1), and specify start- and end dates (2).
Step 5: Add the necessary Tasks, People and Estimates within this new milestone
1. Name the Task
2. Assign the Task (you can assign a role, person[s] or team)
3. Set the Low estimate
4. Set the High estimate
5. Add the Task
Step 6: Choose to Approve the task or not (Collaborators will not be able to see tasks that are not approved. And, make sure to enable the approved option in your view through the eye icon).