Establish milestones, create tasks, prioritize work, and set deadlines
The Scoping section is where you plan out your project, mainly determining and documenting the list of specific goals/milestones, deliverables, task, deadlines and of course ultimately the cost of your project.
Once you have completed Scoping out your project, it will look like this.
1. Milestone: These are your goals, referred to as Milestones in Forecast and are basically the phases of your project.
2. Tasks: Each milestone houses a number of Tasks, or work that make up the milestone and is needed to be completed in order to deliver on the Milestone.
Before we get into the uses of the Scoping section, let's navigate it.
Starting from the left:
- View All, Done or Active: Click on the dropdown to view milestones that are either Done, Active or All of them.
- Eye Icon & Download: Click on the Eye Icon to view more information on each Milestone along with their tasks. Right next to the eye icon is the Download button, click it to export the entire scope of your project in a csv. file.
- Select & Search: Click on the Select Button to enable the Bulk edit option, which allows you to; select multiple tasks and move them to another project, milestone or sprint. You can also bulk assign or bulk task update. Click on the Magnifying glass to easily search for tasks either by name, label or other identifiers.
- Filter, New Milestone or Expand all: Click on the Filter Button to filter milestones/tasks by Project, Status, Client Role, Label or Indicator. Click on the New Milestone button to Add a New Milestones. Finally, click on the Expand All button to expand all tasks and view all of their tasks. \
How to Scope
Step 1: Access your desired project and select Scoping from the sub-menu (if this is a new project your Scoping section will be empty).
Step 2: Click on New Milestone (which is located on the top right hand side of the scoping section) to add a milestone.
Step 3: Give the milestone a name (1), and specify start- and end dates (2).
Step 5: Add the necessary Tasks, People and Estimates within this new milestone
1. Name the Task
2. Assign the Task (you can assign a role, person[s] or team)
3. Set the Low estimate
4. Set the High estimate
5. Add the Task
Step 6: Choose to Approve the task or not (Editors will not be able to see tasks that are not approved).