If you and your team work agile, uncover how to set up sprints in Forecast
If you activated the Sprints option in your project settings, you can simply set up your sprints in the following steps.
Create a Sprint
Step 1: Choose a project where sprint planning is activated and then click on the menu point Sprints. Click on the New Sprint Button to create an new sprint.
Step 2: Name the sprint (by default the sprints will be numbered in consecutive order) and select a start and end date or keep the suggested dates.
If you keep the suggested dates, your first sprint will start on the current date. The end date is calculated by adding the number of days in a sprint (see length of sprint in project settings) to the start date.
The next created sprint will automatically start the day after the former sprint's end date.
Step 5: Drag the tasks from the backlog column into the new sprint. If the start and end date of the task does not fit the dates of the sprint, you will be warned by the system. You can also create new tasks for the sprint.
Further Info and Actions
- View all, done or active sprints: Click on the dropdown to view sprints that are either done or active or all of them.
- Eye Icon & Download: Click on the Eye Icon to view more information on each sprint along with the corresponding tasks. Right next to the icon is the Download button, click it to export the entire sprint planning of your project in a CSV file.
- Select, Search and Filter: Click on the Select Button to enable the Bulk edit option, which allows you to select multiple tasks and move them to another project, milestone or sprint. You can also bulk assign or bulk task update.
Click on the Magnifying glass to easily search for tasks either by name, label or other identifiers.
Click on the Filter Button to filter sprints and tasks by any given information.
- New Sprint, Expand, Settings: Click on the New Sprint Button to add a new sprint.
Click on the Expand All Button to expand all sprints and view all of their tasks.
Click on the Three Dot Icon to group tasks in the sprints by person, to show empty persons or to show / hide the Backlog column on the side.
- Name: Either automatically generated name (Sprint + number) or given name
- Dates: Start- and end date, correspond to sprint length
- Progress: Proportion of total working hours (estimated time) already completed (time entries)
- Tasks left: Number of tasks not completed in the sprint
- Remaining Capacity: Hours allocated to the project remaining in this sprint
(e.g. There is one person 100% allocated to the project and this person has to finish a task in the sprint, the remaining capacity of the sprint will equal the working time of this person.)
- Estimate: Sum of the estimated time of all tasks in the sprint
- Remaining: Difference between the estimated time and time entries of all tasks in the sprint
- Days left: Number of days left in the sprint from the current day, the days will start to count down once the sprint starts)
- Running Pace: Percentage of hours estimated for one day in the sprint that are already booked (time entries) on the current day
- Three Dot Icon: Delete the sprint, all tasks will be placed in the Backlog column when a task is deleted.
To add transparency to your sprints Forecast will warn you about certain events that might interfere with your sprint planning.
You will be warned in case of the following events:
- Task deadline is after the sprint end date
- Task is blocked
- Registered time on a taks is more than the high estimate
- Overdue sprint with unfinished tasks
In this case, you can easily select an action for the unfinished tasks by clicking on the warning on the sprint.
You can either move all unfinished tasks to the backlog or the next sprint, or set their status to "Done".