Release Notes - our way of denoting breaking news. Always stay up-to-date with changes to the Forecast platform.
Curious about old releases? Check them out here.
Month of August 2021
- ‘What’s New’
While Nova's Monthly Roundup email is top notch, 'What's New' is now your 'in-Forecast' source of all news and updates relating to our platform and other exciting stuff you should know about! In here you'll find information on important feature releases and product updates, webinars and other learning resources, as well as incentivised activities like participating in surveys and research.
- Subtasks aka Task Hierarchy is here [Beta]
The new task hierarchy in Forecast allows you to nest different tasks underneath each other. You'll be able to create a 'parent' task and as many subtasks as you like under it. The new subtasks come with estimates, assignees and start and end dates.
The new task hierarchy will help to reduce the overwhelm often felt by teams when tasks aren't broken down in enough detail and will better support them in accomplishing more complex pieces of work. Subtasks will also help to provide a more accurate view of whether a project will over run on budget, or on time.
- Scoping 2.0
Hand in hand with the new task hierarchy, we’ve also released a new version of the Scoping page - Scoping 2.0. This version brings a slightly new look to the Scoping page, while retaining the existing functionality and structure (it should feel the same for most part). An obvious change is the project summary that now sits at the top of the page with key project data displayed e.g. start/end dates, progress, plan vs actual revenue and more.
Importantly, tasks can now be dragged, dropped and nested under each other, which is why this is timed with the release of the new task hierarchy. The new Scoping page also benefits from dramatic performance improvements, bringing loading times down to a maximum of 2 seconds.
- Hubspot Integration
If you’re on our Plus plan, you can now connect HubSpot with Forecast to align your sales department and project delivery teams. With the integration you can:
- Turn HubSpot Deals into Forecast Projects, so you can get better visibility of your project pipeline and more accurately plan your available resources
- Sync important project information back to HubSpot
- Import your clients from HubSpot, so you can have one source of truth for your client records, without needing to update client information in separate systems
- Rate Card Versions
We know that client negotiations can sometimes lead to a change or two on the rate card, which is why we’re excited to announce that you can now create multiple versions of rate cards that are effective from a specific date.
This change means your past pricing data won’t be affected by changes to a rate card. With this release, you’ll also be able to disable a rate card from being used again, while retaining the past financial data relating to it.
Note, we have now removed the ‘Rate card’ page in the Projects tab, but it has been added into the Project Budget view and Project Settings, under Financials.
Month of July 2021
- We're swapping 'Milestone' for 'Phase'
You'll now see the term ‘Milestone’ changed to ‘Phase’ throughout the Forecast platform. We made this decision because ‘Phase’ is a commonly used term that better represents a specific collection of tasks within a project.
- Xero Invoice Export Update (for multiple Xero organizations)
When exporting an invoice to Xero you can now see which of your Xero organizations the Forecast Client belongs to. The Client name in the drop down menu now includes the Xero Organization name, so it's easy to see which Xero organization the invoice will be exported to.
Month of June 2021
- Mobile App: Updated and upgraded
We’re very excited to be able to show off the updated Forecast mobile app for iOS and Android devices! We’ve made updates to the look and feel of the mobile app and now it’s just like the browser version of Forecast, so it’s familiar and easy to use. Performance improvements have also been made, making the app faster, smoother and better than ever.
What you can do in the app while on the go:
- Get a view of the tasks you need to focus on, what’s overdue, what’s coming and what’s been done
- Create new tasks, update statuses, add estimates, comments, and change assignees and dates
- Create, edit and delete time entries in timesheets
- The Schedule Projects timeline can now be shared (and printed)
You can now share the Schedule Projects timeline view (with filters applied). Share it with clients for an overview of their projects in a timeline, or share it with internal stakeholders, so they can get a view of projects in different stages - what's happened, what's coming down the pipeline and what's happening right now. You can also print it if you need to!
- Improvements to the new Project Portfolio Report
- You can now display more financial information in the Project Portfolio Report's chart, such as the actual, planned and remaining revenue, cost or, profit
- The CSV download of the report now contains all displayed information
- Duplicating projects through the API
When using the API to create projects, you can now select a project to duplicate so you can use your project templates. API Documentation.
Month of May 2021
Four improvements have been made to the Xero integration
The first update to the Xero integration enables you to raise invoices in Forecast for multiple Xero organisations. This update has made tracking invoices across your multiple entities a lot easier.
The second update to the Xero integration means you can now bring Purchase Orders from Xero into Forecast as Expenses, ensuring the financial data you have in Xero is more accurately reflected in Forecast.
- With the third update to the Xero integration you do not have to manually synchronize your invoices and clients anymore because this is done automatically by the integration.
- And last but not least we have added the option to include the project name in your invoice line description when exporting the invoice to Xero as our fourth improvement.
- The external task creation form just got more secure
When sharing the task creation form with a client you’ll now be able to password protect the form, in case the shareable link falls into the wrong hands. Create your own password, or let Forecast generate one for you - share the password with your client and they’ll be able to securely access the form using it.
Time Registration Report data can now be exported
You can now download a CSV of the Time Registration Report, making it easy to use the data for reporting outside of Forecast if you need to.
Quarterly zoomIn both Schedule People, Schedule Projects and the Timeline view in each project, you'll now be able to zoom all the way out to take a look at the gantt chart broken down by quarter.
- Report owner and last edit is now displayed
In our new reports (Utilization Report, Time Registered Report and Project Portfolio Report) we are now displaying who owns and who edited the report last.
- Jira comments are now synced
When you are syncing a project between Jira and Forecast your comments on your Jira tasks are also imported into you Forecast tasks now.
- Better AI suggestions
When our Forecast AI suggests you assignee, roles, labels or estimates for your tasks it is now relying on a new and improved machine learning model.
Month of April 2021
You can now select different templates when creating projects in Forecast through our Salesforce integration. Users can easily select which template to use and have them auto populate data between Forecast and Salesforce. This will allow Salesforce users to get a better overview of how an opportunity is going and provide users the ability to create overview reports.
CSV download on Invoice Overview
We have enabled download functionality on the Invoice Overview page, so it is now possible to download the Invoice Overview as a CSV. You will find the button next to the preview icon on the right hand side navigation layer. Upon clicking, 3 CSV files will automatically be downloaded reflecting the 3 different budget types (Fixed Price, Time & Materials, and Retainers) on the overview page
- Unlink Invoices
If you are using one of our accounting integrations (Xero, Quickbooks Online or e-conomic), you can now unlink your exported invoices in Forecast so you can edit them in Forecast independently of your accounting system
- New Color Picker
We've made it easier for you to pick your project colors. You can now choose between 12 pre-selected colors for your projects.
- AI suggestions for Assignees and Roles
We’ve boosted our AI to help you find the right person and role for the job when creating tasks on the scoping or the sprint page. While the AI already suggested assignees and roles in the task modal we’ve upgraded it to help you find the right resources across Forecast. Let Nova do the hard work for you!
- Performance improvements
Once more we have improved the performance and this time we made the Workflow and the Sprints super fast. This update will especially improve the performance on these two pages if you are using large connected projects.
- Deprecation of the project overview
With the new project settings page all settings that were formerly found on the project overview now found a new home. Therefore the project overview page was not needed anymore and we made some room for new amazing features to come.
- Deprecation of the old utilization report components
The new utilization report is out and we now replaced the old report components utilization list, utilization bar chart and monthly utilization with the shiny new report.
Month of March 2021
- New utilization Report
We’ve released a brand new Utilization Report that allows you to instantly compare and analyze your team's billable and non-billable utilization rates. This consolidates the Utilization List, Bar Chart and Monthly Utilization all in one report. The new report is much faster and more accurate than the previous. You'll find the report at the bottom of the page on step 1 here, check it out!
- Timesheet Approval & Timesheet Locking (available on Plus)
We have launched Timesheet Approval and Timesheet Locking in Forecast. You can now approve your team members’ time registrations for invoicing and ensure that only correct time registrations end up in your invoices, as well as lock timesheets to avoid changes being made after the cut off. Find out more here.
Start & End Dates
In the Admin panel you can now set a start and end date for your team members and virtual resources. This will allow for improved resource management. With this update we have moved working hours inside team member’s profiles. The start and end date of a team member is already taken into account in the Timesheet, where time registrations before the start and after the end date are disabled for the particular team member.
Sprint Header & Story Points
We’ve cleaned up the sprint header to only include information you need to efficiently manage and monitor your sprints. Plus Forecast now converts story points into hours dynamically by learning from your actual performance in your sprints so you have one thing less to worry about. Learn more here.
New Project Settings
The project settings page has a brand new design with a much cleaner and easier way of navigating. You will now find your project settings have been segmented into 6 sections: General, Status, Tasks, Financials, Team & Integrations.
Following continuous enhancements to invoicing, we have improved the overall performance of the feature which will now allow you to generate, edit and manage your invoices much more efficiently. In addition to that we allow now to include the notes of time registrations in your Time & Material invoices. Just select the "No grouping with notes" option in the grouping field.
New Expense Modal
We’ve improved the design of the expense modal. The most significant aspect is that it is now possible to add an expense on top of a fixed price. Only available for retainers that are fixed price.
- API Update - expenses connected to phases
When pulling or pushing data from or to Forecast with our API, you can now also extract the associated phase of an expense item.
- Integrations Updates:
- Quickbooks Online: If you are syncing your invoices from Forecast to Quickbooks Online you can now use the default customer tax as specified in Quickbooks for your invoices. Also, you can not convert the invoiced amounts from the invoice currency to your "home" currency of the Quickbooks company by setting an exchange rate.
- Jira: We've added the option to sync over a start date from you Jira issues to you Forecast tasks. When setting up the integration you can select which start date you want to use for the synchronization to Forecast.
Month of February 2021
We're proud to introduce you to Baseline, Forecast’s newest feature. Baseline combines functionalities for:
- Solving misalignment between project managers and account executives.
- Avoiding unrealistic project plans.
- Predicting project profitability and being able to make changes accordingly before it's too late.
- Seeing the effect of proposed changes in an instant and communicating that to the client.
With Baseline, Forecast now caters for a seamless experience from quote to invoice of your projects.
- Time Registration Report (public beta)
You asked and we listened - Forecast now has a new report to monitor the time registrations of your team members. The new design, grouping and filter functionalities let you easily report on the time entries of your team and view the data from different perspectives.
The report is currently released in a beta version so please make sure you submit any thoughts or ideas for improvement you might have with the Feedback button on the report.
- Fabulous Filters
The filter component in Forecast is essential to narrow down a large number of projects, tasks or team members to only focus on specific ones. This months we have improved the filter opportunities so you can now filter for Followers, search in the Team filter and select only team members that are assigned to the project when filtering for tasks with specific assignees, followers or owners.
- Save time and duplicate
You were always able to duplicate tasks and entire phases in Forecast. However, the duplicates would get the prefix "Copy" in the task name which resulted in spending time changing the name for every duplicated task. As we don't like unnecessary tasks we have now removed the "Copy" from duplicates.
- Sort your projects
With the lates update to the Projects page in Forecast, you can now sort your projects in the project stages by clicking on the column headers. Please note that this is only availabe when you display your projects as a list (not the grid view).
- Spring cleaning in the Schedule Projects
We have cleaned up the Schedule Projects a little bit and removed the project team bar. When expanding on a project and expanding on the project team section, you will now no longer see the bar deviding the phases and tasks from the team's allocations.
- Monthly Jira news
Our Jira integration grows and grows. You are now able to fill out required custom fields when creating a issue or an epic in Jira from a task or a phase in Forecast. If there are mandatory custom fields set up in your Jira account, you will be asked by Forecast to fill those in before Forecast can create the issue or epic in Jira.
- Quick update on Quickbooks Online
If you are exporting your Forecast invoices to Quickbooks Online you can now take advantage od the follwoing new features:
- Sales terms that are set up for your clients in Quickbooks now also apply to invoices synced from Forecast.
- The invoice date from Forecast is ecorted to Quickbooks
- Your setting to let Quickbooks control the invoice reference that you can toggle on when exporting an invoice to Quickbooks is now saved so you don't have to set it new for every invoice.
- Your Quickbooks setting to allow online payments is now also taken into account for invoices exported from Forecast.
- Migrate your projects from Asana
When you switched to Forecast from Asana, you can migrate your projects over into your new Forecast account. We are now also migrating the start and end dates on tasks and projects.
Month of January 2021
- Search and Filter on our Scheduling views
You now have the possibility to search and filter for tasks, people and projects on the project Timeline, the People and the Project Schedule. Try the new advanced filter functionality to plan your projects and resources while only focusing on specific items.
- New improvements on the Invoicing and the Budget
- Improvements on the UI of the Invoicing and the Budget page enable you now to see the invoiced and paid amounts in all places properly.
- We also ensured that you can add longer notes to your invoices and see your Budget in the desired currency.
- Furthermore, we have removed the tax from the paid invoicing amounts on the Budget page and the Project Portfolio report so you can monitor your financials without having to do the math yourself.
- Lastly every sent invoice has now a unique URL to make it easier for you to share links to specific invoices with your team.
- New currency available
The Trinidad & Tobago Dollar is now available as a currency on Forecast.
- New and enhanced Retainer functions
- Running Retainers but without a fixed budget? No problem. You can now select Retainers as Time & Materials and even set a default target in hours on these. However when in comes to invoicing you can simply invoice the amount of hours registered in each period and at the end of each months while monitoring if you and your team are hitting the target.
- As a new feature you can now download you time registrations of a retainer period as a CVA in the context menu of the period (three-dot-icon).
- We have also fixed the CSV download of your retainer periods so you can extract the data of your retainer periods easily from the Periods page.
- Avoiding accidential deletion of important user information
We have removed the option to permanently delete users from Forecast. The deletion of users is causing a lot of errors because also time registrations, allocations and assignments are deleted together with the user. This affects not only the time reports but also the utilization reporting and the financial monitoring it is now only possible to deactivate users on your account.
- Use the AI to assign team members
As our AI functions are continuously improved we now have released a new feature that suggests you the right assignee on a task. You can now quicker add yourself to a task and you will also find AI suggestions for your assignees on already assigned tasks.
Please note that the Forecast AI first needs to have sufficient data on your account to be able to come up with useful suggestions.
- Performance, Performance, Performance
Forecast is also continuously improving on the performance. The latest update was released to the Scoping page and you should now be able to see shorter loading times in the Scoping page of your larger projects.
- Sync Tempo Timelogs from Jira Epics to Forecast
As you are now able to sync your Jira epics to Forecast projects (see Release Notes from November 2020), you can also get your time registrations on issues in these epics synced to Forecast.
- New stuff on Xero
Your Xero invoices now also have a link to Frecast so you can jump from your Xero invoice to your Forecast invoice with just one click
You can also now log into Forecast using your Xero credentials, if your have the Xero integration enabled in your account.