Schedule is the place to plan out, and allocate your people to projects. We've had two main focus points in mind regarding the User Interface (UI) of the Schedule view. Our goal is to give you a visually scalable overview of your schedule.
There are two main views in scheduling People & Projects, from where you can manage your entire portfolio of projects and where you can view your teams and their tasks. This makes it possible for you to adjust the schedule per your business needs, allocating people to projects, or allocating projects to people.
From the People View you'll see the Heat Map, where you can easily understand the Utilization of your team members - whether they are over, under, or perfectly allocated . Or, from the Projects view, see the progress of your tasks/projects. From both places you can create things like; tasks, milestones or allocations. Remember to use Chrome for best performance.
A New Way to Schedule
Step 1: Go to Schedule.
Step 2: Select between People or Projects view.
In Project view you immediately get an overall view of your fully populated pipeline.
In People view you get an overview of your individual team members' workload which assists you in anticipating potential bottlenecks.
The first thing you’ll notice in the people view is of course the heatmap in the center of the screen. To the left of the heatmap you'll find a full list of your Team members. And above your team list you'll find the Total Resource Utilization bar and a collection of Unassigned Tasks tab.
The heatmap is the representation of your team's workload whether; under, over & fully allocated.
- A team member that is over-allocated is visually identified by a Red tab - along with the total number of hours they are over allocated - on their heatmap.
- A team member that is perfectly-allocated is visually identified by a green tab with a checkmark - on their heatmap.
- Finally, a team member that is under allocated is visually identified by a white (or empty) tab - along with the total number of hours they are under allocated. As you allocate your team member(s) their allocation tab will start to fill up.
- Click on a team members heatmap tab to view the Resource Utilization rate of a team member.
- Click on Add Allocation from the Resource Utilization view to assign a task to a given team member (if you see that they are under allocated)
Total Resource Utilization Bar
At the very top of the heatmap you will find the sum total of your team members utilization represented in percentages. As you start allocating your team members, this bar will reflect the rate of utilization within a given period, and as you adjust the zoom level of the heat map the percentage will adjust accordingly. This percentage bar gives you an immediate overview of your teams utilization rate.
Managing Team Members
View Team Members Workload
You can view all of the projects and tasks a team member is currently working on by clicking the expand icon next to the person’s name.
You can also hover your cursor over a team members task to get an overview or quick glimpse of the task information. To enable this function click on the Eye Icon on the top left hand side of the Schedule page.
You can manage a team members allocations in many ways, such as by dragging, adding or adjusting tasks.
- Creating/ Adding Allocations: you can create allocations by clicking and dragging your cursor over an empty time slot on the heatmap. An allocation modal will pop up prompting you to further specify and confirm the necessary criteria for the allocation.
- Adjusting Tasks: You can adjust Tasks by clicking directly on it and drag it across the timeline and the heatmap will adapt accordingly. You can also click on either end of the task to adjust it's start and/or end date.
- Tasks bars are positioned under the allocation bar in the timeline, and are identified by a slit on the top right hand corner of the bar. The “Forecast” time for that task is in regular typeface and the hours remaining for its completion can be seen in bold.
Each team member has a Non-Project time tab, identified by grey columns. This represents vacation, holidays, sick leave, meetings, training sessions, and other non-project time you may have added. You can add a non-project allocation the same way you add a task - by clicking and dragging.
Completed Tasks & Registered Time
Tasks that have been completed (where time has been registered and marked done) will be visually represented in Green in the scheduling view.
The Scheduling page will also illustrate when Team members work on task sporadically. You will see this when tasks are spread across the timeline/heatmap and are connected by a dotted outline.
On the top left hand side, below People & Project, you'll find the Unassigned Task Tab. In this tab you'll find all of the tasks you have not assigned to your team when you initially scope out your project(s).
Click to expand on the Unassigned Task Tab and display all of your unassigned tasks, which will be grouped by role.
Unassigned tasks are grouped and housed within these purple tabs (see below). Each one represents the total sum of hours needed to complete the tasks as well as the number of people needed to complete these tasks, which is represented by a person icon.
Expanding on a desired roll will display all of the unassigned tasks that pertain to that roll.
Assigning Unassigned Tasks
These unassigned tasks can be assigned directly to a team member by either dragging the task to a team member below.
Unassigned Tasks can also be assigned to a team member by clicking directly on the task to open it. Both options allow you to efficiently allocate all of your remaining task form this single view.
For better navigation, we've split the screen into two separate windows the top for Unassigned tasks and bottom for your people. Meaning, that you can expand or change the size of each window per your preference, but of course being able to see both.
Continue the tutorial - Schedule Project View
If you have any further questions please remember that our customer support is available to answer your questions.