In this article, you will discover what it is like to be a controller in Forecast. And, in what follows you find out about the best practices which will help you with making most of this second highest of permission levels.
Time to read: Somewhere between 6.4 to 7.5 minutes
- Configure all things related to projects and team members
- Create/edit/view reports, as well as financial information
- You will have similar rights to Admins, but have no access to the admin panel
Before we begin, NOTE:
As a controller, you will be able to view and edit only those projects to which you have been assigned. So, depending on how many projects you are a part of the team, your My Projects page might look something like the following:
With the above in mind, consider:
Step 1: Create/Delete projects
Tip: Be sure to see all of the settings when you are creating a new project!
And, you can delete a given project
Step 2: Add people to projects
More the merrier: go to project settings (the three dots, i.e. the hamburger icon) and go for ‘teams’. Then, invite someone new.
Note: In order to enable proper reporting, ensure that both the main role and project role are filled in accordingly.
And, bear in mind that one person can have different roles depending on the project, e.g. Glenn can be a PM on project x and a designer on project y. Nevertheless, one person can have only one main role attached to a specific billing rate in the rate cards.
Step 3: Schedule your team members.
One way to do it is through the heatmap
There are other ways to schedule the people you work with. See:
Step 4: Manage time
Register your own as well as your team member´s time through the timesheets
- Control whose time you want to view and edit
- Choose the task on which you want to register hours. You can also choose between adding the non-project time of either internal or time-off.
- Simply add your time. Note that you can do so in whatever format you like, whether 4:30, 4.30 or 4.5
- Adjust what you see: show or hide project name, id, milestone and more
5. Enable or disable the AI which will help you out with some handy suggestions. Tip and a note: the more you use the system, the better will the AI get.
Staying in Control of the Finances
Step 1: Double-check!
Make sure that your rate cards and internal hourly cost are in place. Simply go to your admin panel and have a look there.
Note: you can also adjust your internal hourly cost and rate cards in the budget page of the given project.
Step 2: Take control of your invoices
You get to your invoices through project settings.
There you get to choose between four types of invoices.
The different types of invoices are:
- Deposit: ideal for upfront payments
- Fixed Price: ideal for retainer projects
- Time & Materials: only take into consideration time registrations
- Manual: add whatever invoice line items you wish to invoice
Interested in more? Have a look at https://help.forecast.it/project-invoicing
Step 3: The budget page!
Keep things under control from the perspective of money and time in your budget page which you will find in each of your projects.
Pro tip: Make sure that there no errors in the budget page which would be reflected on the top of the page.
Find more about the feature: https://help.forecast.it/project-budget
Step 4: Financial portfolio report
Have a look at your reports section, and go for the financial report section to help you monitor financial processes.
Step1: Create and view reports
Create your report from one of the two places.
Should you want to see the reports tab, note that you will see a number of ready-made reports that you can use.
Step 2: Edit Reports
1. Clicking on the hamburger menu, i.e. the three dots will prompt the menu from which you can choose to either delete or edit a report
2. Click here to create a new report
1. Edit your report name. When you hover over the field, you will be able to easily adjust the name of the report. TIP: All your reports are live, so we recommend you make a distinction between those reports which are internal and external. The suggested way about it would be to have, e.g. a 'Task List - Internal'.
2. Expand your reports with all the different components. See more here https://help.forecast.it/edit-and-share-reports
4. Set your filters. NOTE: Once these are applied and saved, the given filter settings will stay in place
5. However for more info about the specific report
6. Click here to see a list of all the different things you can expand your view with
Step 3: Share!
NOTE: You can share reports with people even if they are not users of Forecast
Look for the familiar icon:
Learn more about sharing reports here: https://help.forecast.it/edit-and-share-reports