Learn about your abilities as a Forecast Admin
Admins are the highest permission level in Forecast. This means that they are able to utilize Forecast to its fullest and make use of every single of its features that are included in your Subscription Plan. Below we go over the basics of what you, as an Admin, can do in Forecast.
The Admin Panel
The Admin panel is the brain of your entire Forecast operation. From here you can set up all of the vital information required to use and optimize the platform to your needs.
Step 1: Ensure you are an admin
First things first, when an Admin logs into Forecast, they will see the ‘admin’ tab when clicking on the profile icon. So, if you do not see the below, you are not quite an admin!
Step 2: Add roles, rates and people
In Forecast, everything is connected, and you need your roles in place to set up your billing rates. So, begin by adding some roles.
Tip: consider establishing different grades within your roles, e.g. senior designer or senior tester
With roles firmly in pace, move onto rates.
Tip: if you are working with a handful of similar clients, consider setting up a default rate card, just like on the screenshot above.
If you wish to learn more about how you can edit your rate cards, see our article on the Admin Panel Set Up.
- Monitor who is actively using the platform
- Adjust permission levels. Remember, adjusting permission levels here does not affect the prices you pay per seat!
- Set you the internal hourly cost here. This step is of vital importance. Without setting your internal hourly cost in place, Forecast will not reflect your finances faithfully, in the budget page, for example.
- Set each team members Start and End date. The start and end date allow for improved resource managing. You are able to set the bounds of when a team members utilization should start counting towards your company’s utilization and when should it not (or end).
- Invite a new user to Forecast. Remember, you can use a given email address only once.
- Monitor who are your virtual users. Remember, virtual users cannot log into the platform. You would use Virtual Users for capacity planning only.
- See who is deactivated and activate them if needed.
Step 3: Set labels
Create, add and remove labels.
The purpose of establishing and using Labels is the organization and categorization of tasks, projects, skills, team members, and teams.
Tip: Have the labels predefined before adding them to Forecast. This could mean having a list of labels for each of your team members based on their skillset e.g. 'graphic design'.
See more here: https://help.forecast.it/admin-panel-set-up-details-lables-currencies-clients
Step 4: Add non-project times
Add non-project and non-billable time such as vacation or sickness.
See more here: https://help.forecast.it/admin/non-project-time-holidays
Step 5: Add clients
Add a client so that you can then invite a guest user.
See more here: https://help.forecast.it/admin/clients/create-clients
Step 6: Set integrations
Check out the different solutions you can integrate with: https://www.forecast.app/integrations
Step 1: Create/Delete projects
As an admin, you can easily create projects:
Tip: Be sure to see all of the settings when you are creating a new project!
Also, as an admin, you can just as easily delete any project.
Step 2: Add people to projects
More the merrier: go to project settings (the three dots, i.e. the hamburger icon) and go for ‘teams’. Then, simply invite someone new.
Note: In order to enable proper reporting, ensure that both the main role and project role are filled in accordingly.
And, bear in mind that one person can have different roles depending on the project, e.g. Glenn can be a PM on project x and a designer on project y. Nevertheless, one person can have only one main role attached to a specific billing rate in the rate cards.
Step 3: Schedule your team members
One way to do it is through the heatmap.
Step 4: Manage time
Register your own as well as your team member´s time through the timesheets.
- Control whose time you want to view and edit
- Choose the task or the type of non-project time (i.e. either Interna Time or Time Off) on which you want to register hours
- Simply add your time. Note that you can do so in whatever format you like, whether 4:30, 4.30 or 4.5
- Adjust what you see: show or hide project name, id, milestone and more
- Enable or disable the AI which will help you out with some handy suggestions. Tip and a note: the more you use the system, the better will the AI gets.
Step 1: Double-check!
Make sure that your rate cards and internal hourly cost are correct and in place. You can do so through the budget page or via your admin panel.
Step 2: Take control of your invoices
Get to your invoices through the project settings.
There, you get to choose between four types of invoices.
The different types of invoices are:
- Deposit: ideal for upfront payments
- Fixed Price: ideal for retainer projects
- Time & Materials: only take into consideration time registrations
- Manual: add whatever invoice line items you wish to invoice
See more here: https://help.forecast.it/invoicing-1
Step 3: The budget page!
Keep things under control from the perspective of money and time in your budget page which you will find in each of your projects.
Tip: Make sure that there are no errors in the budget page which would be reflected on the top of the page.
Find more about the feature: https://help.forecast.it/project-budget
Step 4: Financial portfolio report
Have a look at your reports section, and go for the financial report section to help you monitor financial processes.
Step1: Create and view reports
Create your report from one of the two places.
Should you want to see the reports tab, note that you will see a number of ready-made reports that you can use.
Step 2: Edit Reports
1. Clicking on the hamburger menu, i.e. the three dots will prompt the menu from which you can choose to either delete or edit a report
2. Click here to create a new report
1. Edit your report name. When you hover over the field, you will be able to easily adjust the name of the report. TIP: All your reports are live, so we recommend you make a distinction between those reports which are internal and external. The suggested way about it would be to have, e.g. a 'Task List - Internal'.
2. Expand your reports with all the different components. See more here https://help.forecast.it/edit-and-share-reports
4. Set your filters. NOTE: Once these are applied and saved, the given filter settings will stay in place
5. Hover for more info about the specific report
6. Click here to see a list of all the different things you can expand your view with
Step 3: Share!
NOTE: You can share reports with people even if they are not users of Forecast
Look for the familiar icon:
Learn more about sharing reports here: https://help.forecast.it/edit-and-share-reports