Discover the Xero integration and learn what you can do with it
Reading time: 5 minutes
Note: If you are looking for how to set up your Xero integration, see Xero Integration Setup
- With the Xero integration, you can send invoices from Forecast to Xero
- Synchronize your billable hours based on the rate cards, and create invoices in Xero to bill your clients in a matter of minutes
- Use the integration to deposit invoices for upfront payments
- View the details of previously created invoices or click an active item to go directly to the invoice in Xero
- NOTE: the integration does not work on Connected Projects.
Finding and Using Xero in Projects.
This will allow Xero to be integrated successfully to Forecast. If you wish to find Xero and start making use of it please follow the steps below.
Step 1: Click the three vertical dots on any project, click on Xero. Once in the Xero page click on Create First Invoice.
Step 2: Choose what type of invoice you wish to create. You have three options.
Step 3: Select items for the invoice
At the top left of the window, you can select what should be billed on the invoice, e.g. time registrations, card titles, roles, or milestones. So, here you decide what your client sees on the bill.
At the top right of the window, you can sort the list by current month, dates, etc.
You can even give discounts on specific items by typing a percentage into the Discount field, and it will automatically be subtracted on your final invoice.
Step 4: At the right, check the checkboxes for the items you wish to send to the invoice in Xero. You can also check all of them at the top.
Step 5: Click Next
Step 6: Enter Xero information, i.e. invoice reference, invoice client, invoice account, and invoice due date.
Step 7: Click Create
You'll now be sent to Xero to review the invoice draft. Continue as you normally would, approve the invoice, register received payment, etc.
Remember, to update information in your Xero tab, you need to click the Synchronize Existing Invoices button, and approve the action on the following page in Xero.
Step 1: Understand the Xero tab
This is an example of the overview you get when navigating to the Xero tab.
Step 2: Know your alerts
In Forecast, there are four types of alert symbols, see the image above.
- Red Triangle: Not paid / Overdue
- Yellow Triangle: Partly paid
- Green Checkmark: Paid
- Red Circle: Cancelled (i.e. Voided) in Xero
- No Alert: Regular invoice coming up
Step 3: Understand invoices and time registrations
There are only a few things to bear in mind
- Billed time is locked in Forecast
- Voiding an invoice will open time registrations in Forecast
- Deleting an invoice will delete the invoice in Forecast
Note: Xero requires that you go through them to make any actions in your Xero account, but we made it as easy as possible.
To update information between Xero and Forecast, click the Synchronize button in your Xero tab. You must have a Xero permissions level of Standard and up to Synchronize with Forecast.
Deposit invoicing, i.e. upfront payments allow your client to pay a portion of your invoice and you receive the remaining balance later.
With this integration the deposit can also be done as a percentage or fixed amount.
You can send out invoices to your clients based on your Scoping/Forecasted Price, or account for Time & Materials.